Tuesday, August 11, 2009

From bad to worse

I felt like the luckiest person in the world when Jonathon turned 4 years old and was still beautifully oblivious to that horrible word...'WHY?' But just when I thought I had dodged that bullet my adorable little niece came to visit and taught him the wonders of the word (Thank you Avalon). Since then it has become a staple in his vocabulary, sometimes I think he says it even without realizing it as he seems confused when I respond. After one particular day that was saturated with the word, I finally had enough. I asked Jonathon 'WHY do you always ask why?' Thinking that I would stump him and that would be the end of his relentless why-attack. He looked me straight in the eye and said with as much exasperation as a 4-year old can muster, 'Because, Mom, that is how I find out about things.' Touche...I had no response and he went back to his questions, which I now answered as completely as I could.

With all this frustration I thought there could not be anything worse than a constant stream of 'whys' everyday. But alas, I was wrong. What is worse than 'why' you ask...'WHAT IF'. Gone are the days that I could just look up the answer to his why questions and now we are immersed in the make-believe. Instead of 'why is the sky blue' I get 'what if the sky were green'. Instead of 'why does my finger hurt?' I get 'what if my finger fell off?' Somebody please tell me how you answer that one...

1 comment:

  1. My boys are CONSTANTLY asking the "What if..." questions. "What if a rock fell in hot lava?" "What if the sun blew up?" and also the "Which is stronger..." questions..."Mom, which is stronger, Hulk or Megatron?" or any other combination of names they can think of! Boys!!!

    ReplyDelete